Grading Permit

Grading Permit Application Requirements

Application for grading permit approval may be initiated by the owner, user or potential user of the subject property by making application in writing to the planning division, on such forms as may be designated.


General Requirements

No person shall undertake, authorize, or permit any of the following actions without first having obtained a grading permit from the city:

  • Any excavating, grading, filling, or other change in the earth's topography resulting in the movement of more than 20 cubic yards of material, except in any wetlands, designated flood plain, or shoreland district. A permit is not required in conjunction with:
    • A council-approved mining permit
    • Earthwork undertaken in accordance with grading plans approved in conjunction with a site and building plan review, rural subdivision or plat approval
    • Excavation, grading, or filling in a wetland, designated flood plain, or shoreland district
  • No grading permit shall be required under subsections A1a and A1b of this section for any earthwork that will result in moving less than twenty cubic yards of material but any grading activity must comply with subsection D of this section, grading standards.
  • All grading permits which would result in the moving of more than 1,000 cubic yards of material per acre of site area shall be reviewed as a conditional use permit as specified in section 11-2-9 of this title when not in conjunction with a mining permit, preliminary plat, development plan or site plan review process.


The plan must be approved, where required, by appropriate watershed districts, the United States army corps of engineers, the Minnesota department of natural resources, and any other governmental agency that has jurisdiction.

National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Requirements

In addition to all other plan requirements in this chapter, any applicant disturbing an amount of total land area equal to or exceeding the threshold amount described by current NPDES requirements shall comply with the following additional requirements:

The property owner shall apply for and be issued an NPDES general storm water permit from the Minnesota pollution control agency (MPCA); and the property owner or applicant shall submit to the city an approved copy of the erosion and sediment control plan as required for the NPDES by the MPCA.

Hours of Construction

Construction is allowed Monday through Friday from 7 am to 7 pm and Saturday from 9 am to 7 pm For further information, see City Code Title 4-8-8: Construction, Excavation, Repair and Demolition Activities.