A keeping of chickens and ducks permit is required prior to having chickens and ducks and must be reapplied for every two years along with $100 permit fee.
Download a keeping of chickens and ducks application.
The following are required for application:
- A completed keeping of chickens and ducks permit application.
- A side view drawing of the proposed coop and attached run, including construction materials.
- A drawing of the location of the proposed coop and attached run on a survey or a scaled site plan.
- Evidence of completion of backyard poultry keeping course. Accepted courses can be found below.
- An email or letter from your housing association signifying that chickens and ducks are permitted.
- $100 fee, payable to the City of Cottage Grove.
Application and accompanying materials should be submitted to:
City of Cottage Grove
ATTN: Business Licensing
12800 Ravine Parkway
Cottage Grove, MN 55016
View a summary of the requirements for keeping backyard chickens and ducks.
Accepted educational courses:
University of Minnesota
Egg|Plant Urban Farm Supply
Nicollet Ace Hardware
Please contact the City Clerk's office at 651-458-2878 with questions. email City Clerk Tamara Anderson