Home fires occur more in the winter than in any other season. As you stay cozy and warm this winter season, be fire smart!
· Half of all home heating fires occur in the months of December, January and February
· Heating equipment is involved in one in every seven reported home fires and one in every five home fire deaths
· Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a space heater) into an electrical outlet at a time
· Have a qualified professional clean and inspect your chimney and vents every year
· Space heaters are a good alternative heat source as long as they are in good repair and at least three feet from combustibles. Never heat your home or apartment with the stove or oven
· Keep anything that can burn at least three feet from any heat source like fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators or space heaters
· Make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and also be sure to test them monthly