The 23,000 square foot Inclusive Playground is located in Woodridge Park, 9000 90th Street S., in the heart of the community. The destination playground is a fun play space open to everyone.
Key components include:
- 82 pieces of equipment suited for a variety of ages and abilities
- 100 percent accessible surfacing
- Large outdoor musical section
- Several playground elements allow children of any physical ability to play
- Unique landforms make the playground more accessible
- Playground sections designed for younger child and toddlers
- Many aspects of the play space are sensory
- Nature-based playground design created around amenities already featured at Woodridge Park
In 2013, the Cottage Grove City Council had a dream to build a ‘destination’, a park for everyone. A citizen task force was formed with the mission of designing a safe and inclusive community playground that will foster friendships, personal growth, learning, and fun for all abilities.
The overall cost of the project was over $800,000 with the City providing administrative support staff, skilled labors, and monetary dollars towards the project. The remaining money came from local donations, business/organization contributions, grants, in-kind work toward the project, and the donation of supplies. Many people stepped up to make the playground a success and donors are recognized on site.