Handgun Permits

Permit to Purchase Handgun
A permit is required in order to acquire a pistol from a federal firearms dealer. Application for this permit must be made in the city in which you reside, or the county sheriff if there is no local police department. If you are a Cottage Grove resident, you may obtain an application from:

Permit to Purchase/Transfer

Cottage Grove Police Department
12800 Ravine Parkway South
Cottage Grove, MN 55016


 In accordance with the Governor’s Emergency Executive Order 20-20 directing Minnesotans to Stay at Home, we will not be accepting Permits to Purchase Firearms applications in person.  Please be sure to fill out the application completely, including a total of four (4) signatures, and a photocopy of your Picture I.D., before mailing to:

 Cottage Grove Public Safety
ATTN: Records
12800 Ravine Pkwy. S.
Cottage Grove, MN


Please call (651) 458-2850 with any questions Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  Allow 10 business days to process your application. There is no fee. Upon approval, your permit will be valid for one year.

Permit to Carry a Handgun
It is against the law for any person -- other than a law enforcement officer who has authority to make arrests -- to carry, hold or possess a pistol in a public place or public area without first having obtained a permit to carry the pistol.

Applications for Permits to Carry a Handgun are processed by the Washington County Sheriff's Office.