The Planning Commission is a nine-member voluntary advisory group who makes recommendations on land use-related issues to the City Council. The City Council makes all final decisions regarding these matters.
- 7 p.m. | Fourth Monday of each month
- Cottage Grove City Hall
12800 Ravine Parkway South
Cottage Grove, MN 55016
- Call 651-458-2827 for more information
The primary mission of the Planning Commission is to recommend the formulation and implement a master plan for the development of the community and to conduct municipal planning activities. These activities will guide the future development of the municipality through the preparation, adoption and amendments of the Comprehensive Plan, implementing regulations and Capital Improvement Programming.
Agendas, Minutes and Packets
Agendas, minutes, and packets for the Commission are available here.
Past Planning Commission meetings can be viewed on the South Washington County Telecommunications Commission (SWCTC) website.
Meeting minutes are generally not available until they have been approved by the Commission at their next regularly scheduled meeting.
The purpose and duties of the Planning Commission are those vested in it by the statues of the State and other ordinances of the City:
- Recommend updates to the City's Comprehensive Plan
- Recommend zoning regulations
- Recommend rezoning of public and private properties
- Recommend subdivision regulations
- Recommend an annual five-year Capital Improvement Program
- Recommend action on variance requests
- Recommend actions as the Board of Appeals for ordinance interpretation
- Make recommendations on sign ordinances and sign variances
- Elect a liaison to the Historic Preservation Committee
The Planning Commission is also a direct statutory link to other governmental agencies to coordinate, and in some cases, implement overall land use regulations or issues. The following is a list identifying some of those governmental agencies:
- Cottage Grove Advisory Commissions/EDA
- East Mississippi Watershed Management Organization
- Lower St. Croix Watershed Management Organization
- South Washington Watershed District
- Adjacent community planning programs
- I.S.D. #833 physical investments/land use
- Washington County Parks/Planning Programs
- Metropolitan Council
- Metropolitan Watershed Control Commission
- Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- U.S. National Parks Service/Mississippi River and Recreation Area Commission
If you are interested in applying to be a volunteer member of any of the City Advisory Commissions, download the application, fill it out and return it to the City of Cottage Grove, ATTN: City Clerk, 12800 Ravine Parkway South, Cottage Grove, MN 55016.
Forms are also available for pick up at City Hall.
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis and kept on file for one year.
Please contact Joe Fischbach at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Planning Commission Packet