The Canadian Pacific Holiday Train returns to the communities of Cottage Grove, Newport and St. Paul Park for its 16th year, on the evening of Monday, December 10, 2018.
The brightly lit train will arrive with a trainload of fun and entertainment at 5:15 p.m. All cash and donations of personal care items collected at the “Cottage Grove Stop” go directly to our local Friends in Need Food Shelf; serving the residents of Cottage Grove, Grey Cloud Island, Newport and St. Paul Park.
Several new features have been added to this year’s event:
- Festival of Wreaths. Families, individuals and organizations may sponsor and decorate a wreath for $125 to display on the evening of the “Cottage Grove Stop” and then take the wreath home after the event or donate it. For details on how to sponsor a wreath, visit: http://bit.ly/HTwreath
- NEW! FREE Wagon Rides from the Park & Ride lot: Sponsored by Zywiecs Landscape and Garden Center. Note: Parking at the Park & Ride lot is limited.
- Holiday Musical Performances on the Train’s Stage by The Trewes and Willy Porter
- NEW! Holiday Train fleece pajama pants for sale for children ($25) and adults ($30) and Knit Beanie stocking caps ($20)
- NEW! KCM EggRolls Food Truck will be selling food for purchase
Other features of the event returning this year include:
- Visit with Santa and enjoy some holiday music before the train arrives.
- Browse merchandise for sale including: NEW fleece pajama pants for children and adults, NEW beanie stocking caps, insulated tumblers, ¾ sleeve jersey shirts, sweatshirts, knit caps, fleece mittens, fleece blankets, and more!
- “The Lodge” Warming Tent, sponsored by RE/MAX Professionals.
- Glo-sticks will be given to children in attendance courtesy of Old National Bank, Merchants Bank, Spartan Promotional Group – Mary Slusser and MidWestOne Bank, while supplies last.
- Free hot cocoa and cookies, courtesy of Hy-Vee (while supplies last)
- Free coffee, courtesy of Caribou Coffee (while supplies last)
- Brats & Hot Dogs grilled by the Cottage Grove Lions Club and donated by Hy-Vee, available for purchase while supplies last. Proceeds benefit Friends in Need.
- Food to purchase from Mountain Mike's & KCM EggRolls of which a portion of the proceeds will benefit Friends in Need.
Parking is available at the following locations:
- Metro Transit Park & Ride Lot on West Point Douglas Road (wagon rides begin at
- All Saints Lutheran Church: 8100 Belden Blvd, Cottage Grove
- The Cottage Grove Armory: 8180 Belden Blvd, Cottage Grove
- Limited handicap parking can be found in the Youth Service Bureau Lot
*West Pt. Douglas Road will close at 3:30 p.m. SHARP. Closures at both Belden Crossing and near the Park and Ride.
The Holiday Train is truly a gift to our communities. Last year our communities raised an astounding $99,961.97 and collected 17,071 pounds of toiletries, food and toys for our local Friends in Need Food Shelf. In the past 15 years, the Holiday Train event in Cottage Grove has raised over $1,027,384.69 for our local food shelf! Last year, our milestone goal of 1 million dollars raised in fifteen years was met. This year, a new goal of raising $90,000 was set.
The Cottage Grove Area Chamber of Commerce, the City of Cottage Grove, the City of Newport and the City of St. Paul Park are hosting this event in conjunction with many local volunteers, local businesses and community leaders. Cash is the preferred donation but the need is also great for personal care items such as bar soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothbrushes, dish soap, toilet paper, paper towels or diapers.
If you are unable to attend the event and would still like to donate to the Friends in Need Food Shelf, please send checks payable to the Friends in Need Food Shelf, noting “Holiday Train” in the memo line. Checks can be sent to the Friends in Need Food Shelf, P.O. Box 6, Cottage Grove, MN 55016.
Event CP Holiday Train Stop in Cottage Grove, MN
Date: Monday, December 10, 2018
Time: 5:15 p.m. train arrival. 5:30 – 6:00 p.m. performances
Location: West Point Douglas Road, just south of the 80th St. Bridge / Belden Crossing (across from the Youth Service Bureau).