Winners in the City’s 2017 photo contest, Capture Cottage Grove, were announced Feb. 7 by the Cottage Grove City Council. This year's contest had 60 entries.
- Timothy Dardine won in the nature category for his photo titled “The Perfect November Morning.” He took the photo in Old Cottage Grove, looking east towards Highway 95.
- Bill Pohlmann won in the celebrations and events category for “Fire and Rain,” taken at Strawberry Fest.
- In the parks and trails category, there was a tie. Bill Pohlmann won for his photo “Morning at Mooers,” a vibrant sunrise picture at Hazen P. Mooers Park. Peter Potyondy won for his photo “Discovery,” featuring a small child playing with rocks and shells as a thunderstorm moves into Cedarhurst Meadows Park.
- Nathan Klok won in the people category. His photo was taken at the Cottage Grove Ice Arena at the beginning of a high school hockey game.
- Kevin Gallagher won in the streetscapes category for his photo titled “Beautiful Sunrise in Cottage Grove.” His stunning photo was taken at the roundabout at Highway 61 South and Jamaica Avenue.
- Jixiong Han’s 11-year-old daughter won in the youth (15 and under) category for a picture of her new puppy called “Puppy Fluffy.”
The top photographers were awarded $50 for each winning photograph. Their photographs will be featured in City print and electronic publications as well as on the City's social media channels.
The winning photographs can be viewed on the City’s Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cottagegrovemn/albums